Have you ever thought about Traveling Internationally With Kids?
Honestly, initially, I was TERRIFIED! But, traveling with our kids has been a great learning experience. For ALL of us!
We are happy to share some tips to make it easier and fun for you.
- Travel early – make it to the airport 2 hours early to give yourself plenty of time for those extra bathroom stops, snack needs, and to make it through security before the crowds.
- Paper notebooks and a pen make it nice to be able to journal, draw and play easy games like Tic-Tac-Toe
- Ask if you can pre board if you have little ones or any medical issues. This will give you more time and make it easier all around because you won’t feel rushed.
- Suckers and gum help ears to pop and avoid earaches
- Bring a light jacket or small blanket because planes are often cold and it makes it easier to take a nap.
Traveling with kids can be a great experience! There are learning opportunities everywhere! The WORLD can literally be your classroom!
There is literally nothing like getting to see the real thing in person! Hello, Mona Lisa by Leonardo da Vinci! (If you go, try to do the special Mona Lisa by night tour without the crowds to get right up close.)
How to read the arrival and departure boards, how to check in at the front desks and kiosks, how to navigate airports, and how to pay attention and stay together in crowds.
For safety, always have your child go into the bathroom stall with you, always have somebody in your group with your bags, and less is more when traveling.
We have found that by packing in just one back pack each for a month long trip, we are able to mostly just wash socks and underwear and re-wear jeans, shirts and layer with sweatshirts. This makes it so nice because we aren’t weighed down with a bunch of stuff!
Take lots of pictures! You can always scrapbook later! Or, use a photo site like http://www.shutterfly.com
to create custom photo books and keepsakes from your trips!
Be present, enjoy those real time moments, balance experiences, naps and work and remember, the world is your classroom! Enjoy making memories together.
Also, a friend told us about a great resource for checking out local destinations. It’s called: http://withlocals.com
Check out the link to find other things to do with locals when you travel. Oftentimes, they are more affordable and will give you some great ideas you might not otherwise find out about.
We used it to find out about great areas to buy chocolates, ride a carousel and find a local market when we went to Paris and made our own local day out with friends!
Remember, today is truly a gift! Make memories with your loved ones. Today will never be the same again.